Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thunder-Duck, and a Wolf





Click on the pictures to embiggen, BTW (embiggen - good word, thanks Yarn Harlot)

Hmm. Clever of me to call this Otter-Dracos Pictures instead of Photographs, as these aren't photos (obviously). They're drawings that Ron scanned in, brought into Adobe Illustrator, and traced/cleaned up (hence the awsome display of symmetry). So I probably should have put the copyright as belonging to both of us, but I doubt he'll be fussed.

The first one is a Northwest Coast-style wolf's head I was working on for myself. I forget how many versions I've gone through as I worked on it in the last mumble years, this time I finally got it right, I think. I think the key was getting rid of outlines. You may or may not notice that the bits are free-floating, not necessarily connected. But it works, you end up seeing the face as a whole. It would be more detailed, but for design constraints the final medium will impose.

As we were finishing the wolf face up, I had the idea to do a Thunderbird-Duck. Yes, with DucKon in mind. I couldn't resist. I did it. Hence the second drawing, ThunderDuck with the duck face in the chest. More semi-detached bits, although less obviously than in the wolf face. More detail, too. I knew that I could put more detail in it.

Then Ron had fun, took out the duck face, and put in the wolf face (with some stretching and/or squashing to make it fit, but not obvious deformation).

In some ways, the ThunderDucks are just . . . wrong. But they came out so well! We also have colored and black-and-white filled-in versions, in which the moustache-y bit in the beak is gone, because it was waaaaay too much like a moustache.


If the DucKon leadership leaves me as Publications again, I do solemnly promise . . .
. . .
. . . NOTHING! I have the POWER! I have the SOFTWARE! I have the IMAGES!
BWAH HA HA HA HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I allow anonymous contents, moderation is on so I can catch spam and whatnot.